Did you know that the health of your digestive tract can influence the wellbeing of your whole body – including your moods, your skin and your immune system? Research is continually validating the central role the gut and the bacteria that live there (our 'microbiome') play in our overall health, and modern medicine is beginning to recognize this connection also.
Symptoms of digestive discomfort are one of the most common reasons for doctor’s appointments, and can be amongst the most uncomfortable and distressing conditions to experience. From a naturopathic perspective, these are always a sign that something is not quite right in the digestive system.
Looking closely at gut health as a foundation of health, and addressing any imbalances is at the heart of natural medicine.
Common Digestive Conditions and Symptoms Include:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Coeliac Disease
- Dysbiosis (an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- 'Leaky gut'/intestinal permeability
- Bloating & gas
- Food intolerances
What Does Naturopathic Treatment For Digestive Health Involve?
As the gut is such a crucial part of your body that affects so many other areas, supporting gut health is the foundation upon which your support will focus. The gut consists of many layers, including the gut bacterial populations, enzymes that help you break down the food you eat, and the gut barrier. Any one (or all) of these can become disrupted due to factors such as stress, certain medications, poor quality foods or infections.
I will take the time to discuss your symptoms with you, and may perform some in-clinic screening tests to help provide further understanding of your case. I then create a truly personalized and holistic plan to help reduce your discomfort and work towards healing your gut for the long-term.
Your plan may include:
- Anti-microbial products to help remove unhealthy bacteria or fungi in the gut
- Nutrients to support gut barrier integrity and repair
- Herbal medicines with soothing properties to provide symptomatic relief from discomfort
- Specific evidence-based probiotic strains. Whilst you may already be taking a probiotic supplement, not all products are viable by the time you take them, and not all strains are good for every condition. Through my training I am able to match the best therapeutic strain(s) for your particular case.
Where Further Investigation May Be Helpful:
I have access to a wide range of functional pathology testing options, that may be of benefit to people suffering from digestive upsets or gut conditions.
Available tests include:
- Gluten sensitivity and/or genetic susceptibility to gluten
- 'Leaky gut' check (intestinal permeability)
- Parasite and pathogenic organisms (undesirable bacteria, infections or fungi) investigations
- Microbiome (gut bacteria) mapping - checking levels of healthy bacteria
- Enzyme production & absorption markers
- Liver health & detoxification capacity
- Food sensitivity testing
Please note that these tests are 100% optional as an additional service.
Looking For More Information?
You may find the following articles useful: