Are Your Hormones Ruling Your Life?
As a woman, you are more than likely the cornerstone of your family. But what happens if your hormones are out of balance, you are worn out all the time and only barely getting through your day, or are suffering pain, lack of energy or mood swings?
Hormonal issues are one of my main areas of clinical focus, and I have been able to successfully help many women feel more balanced again. Natural medicine is especially well-suited to women's health, as it is safe and gentle, and works with the body rather than suppressing the natural rhythms, as is the approach with conventional medicine.
What Are Common Signs of Hormonal Imbalances?
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) - feeling irritable, teary, bloated or angry anywhere up to 2 weeks prior to your period
- Mood swings and feeling depressed or anxious (this may be present throughout your cycle)
- Period pain, which for many women can be debilitating
- Irregular periods - having a period more frequently than every 21 days, or having more than 35 days in between your periods
- Menopausal symptoms – hot flushes, sleep difficulties, vaginal dryness, weight gain, anxiety or depression
- Low sex drive
- Fertility difficulties (although this can also be related to your partner's fertility too)
- Recurrent thrush or urinary tract infections (UTI's)
- Headaches or migraines, particularly in the week or two before your period arrives
- Diagnosed hormonally-driven conditions such as endometriosis, fibroids or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
What Does Naturopathic Treatment of Hormonal Imbalances Involve?
My approach is to support the natural ebb and flow of hormones that the female body wants to achieve. At your first appointment, I will discuss with you various aspects of your hormones, such as your cycle pattern (both now and in the past), any conventional investigations that may have been performed, and any medications you have been taking.
I also take into account other factors that may be playing a role in why your hormones have become unbalanced, such as your thyroid function, your gut health and your stress levels. I then use this information to create a treatment plan that is just for you and that works with your body's natural rhythms.
Your plan may include:
- Nutritional support for hormonal balance, stress and gut health
- Targeted herbal medicines to support your particular pattern (low progesterone, high oestrogen, low oestrogen etc)
- Supporting any other health issues that may be playing a role in how you are feeling (stress, medications, sleep, thyroid function etc)
- Sometimes, functional pathology testing may be recommended, to assess certain hormone levels or other factors that may be influencing your cycle
- Personalized diet and lifestyle recommendations to suit your case