Working With The Body To Ease Stress and Enhance Calm
It’s no fun to feel overwhelmed, anxious, worn out, burnt out or moody because stress is ruling your life. Thankfully, natural medicines are both safe and effective for helping support your nervous system and help you get back to feeling like your old self again.
Signs That Your Nervous System Could Do With Some TLC!
- low moods, feeling 'flat' or down
- Anxiety and/or panic attacks
- Feeling like you constantly have a 'flat battery' - even when you have had enough rest
- Generally feeling tense or unable to relax
- Teeth grinding
- Muscular aches & pains, headaches
- Poor stress tolerance & feeling overly sensitive
- Pre-menstrual mood swings, PMS, feeling teary right before your period
- Having trouble sleeping - either dropping off to sleep or staying asleep.
- Low immunity - catching lots of colds, flus or other infections such as urinary tract infections
What Does Naturopathic Support For Stress & Moods Involve?
First of all, Linda will discuss your current health concerns at your initial appointment. This is to establish a baseline to work from, and to discover how significant events in your life and other factors may be influencing how you have been feeling. Linda will talk to you about your current food and exercise habits, any medications you are currently taking, and will work out a comprehensive plan to nourish and support your nervous system.
All aspects of your health are taken into consideration - and now more than ever science is discovering that many factors can play a role in how we react to stress, and the development of mental health problems such as depression. Your plan may include:
- supporting gut health (as your gut function is linked to your brain via the enteric nervous system, and production of certain neurotransmitters such as serotonin occur largely in the gut). It's also not uncommon for stress to be a trigger of gut upsets such as irritable bowel syndrome.
- optimizing your nutrient intake and correcting any deficiencies that may be contributing to your symptoms. Certain nutrients are involved in your body's stress response, and often some simple nutrient supplementation can make a significant difference to how you feel.
- Improving the quality of your diet, at a pace that is manageable for you. Eating nourishing foods is healing for the body and the mind, and is often underestimated as a key factor in the development of mental health problems.
- Stress management techniques and mindset to improve quality of life
- Using evidence-based herbal medicines where appropriate, to calm, soothe and re-energise the nervous system
Are Natural Medicines Safe To Use Alongside Pharmaceutical Medications?
If you are taking a medication of any sort, but particularly for anxiety and/or depression, it is vital to ensure you are getting the best information regarding which supplements are safe to use and won't interfere with your doctor's recommendations.
Linda considers your safety to be of the utmost importance, and keeps an active subscription to 'eMIMs', the medicines database used by healthcare practitioners Australia-wide. She also has access to multiple verified sources for checking drug/herb/nutrient interactions and ensures all supplements are safe for you to take before recommending.